Northumberland Hills Hospital encourages visits from family and friends throughout our patients' healing process. We know that having loved ones nearby while in hospital makes patients more comfortable and speeds up their recovery.
Below is a summary of the Visiting Guidelines developed to strike the right balance between visiting and the healing process. Brochures are also available in all in-patient units. We thank you in advance for your appreciation of our need to preserve all patients' rights to privacy and confidentiality. NHH reserves the right to limit, restrict or deny patient visitation based on the needs of the patients or the organization.
Visiting Guidelines at a Glance
- Each patient may have two visitors at a time
- Visits should be kept short
- If you or your children are feeling sick, have a fever or cough, have diarrhea or vomiting, you should not visit
- Children are welcome to visit when accompanied by a parent or guardian, though young children (under the age of 12) should not visit patients in isolation. Please note: a child is considered one visitor
- Visits should never be scheduled during therapy or treatment times
- Special visitation needs of each family will be assessed and accommodated as required
- The privacy and healing environment of all patients and their families must be respected at all times
- The hospital's main entrances are locked nightly between 8:00 PM and 7:00 AM and special access requirements are in place for evening and night hours. During these hours, visitors must enter at the Emergency Department entrance, proceed to the patient unit they are visiting and identify themselves to a member of the health care team. A sign-in log is used to identify after-hours visitors, and visitor passes must be worn at all times when in the hospital between 8:00 PM and 7:00 AM
- Wash your hands before and after every patient contact, before and after eating, and after using the washroom
- Special instructions may apply to those visiting a patient in particular areas of the hospital, such as Intensive Care. Please speak to a member of the health care team for more details
If you have questions regarding NHH's Visiting Guidelines, please contact the Program Director Janet Burn at 905-372-6811, ext. 3211.